BREAK DOWN ASSIGNMENT
Why should I do it?
- Some students get overwhelmed by too much information on a page
- Students who are dealing with ADD/ADHD tend to have difficulties with breaking up assignments
- Provides student with small, frequent, attainable goals
When should I do it?
- When a student shows signs of being overwhelmed
- When you are aware of an ADHD/ADD diagnosis either by school or outside school
- When student is reluctant to complete work
How do I do it?
- Take a blank sheet of paper and cover up every item other than what you want the student to complete. After they complete that, teach them to move the sheet down
- Determine what might be hardest/easiest for student. Have them do the easy items or the hard items first, which ever they prefer
- Allow a break after student completes a portion of the work