Why should I do it?
- It provides student with comfort and limits
- You remain in control of the environment
- Provides clear, consistent, & predictable rules and expectations
- Provides a visual cue for behavior
When should I do it?
- When a student breaks a rule or whose actions are disruptive enough to require a formal consequence
How do I do it?
- Always provide consequences to students in the most non-emotional state possible. If needed, take a time out for yourself before implementing consequence
- Be brief. Use fewest words possible to explain consequence
- Give a consequence for the behavior every time it happens.
- Have the student explain what they will do differently next time