CLEAR AND CONCISE DIRECTIONS
Why should I do it?
- This is a good general strategy to use with all students to increase understanding
- Improves students’ ability to correctly complete assignments
- Helps students to fully benefit and get everything out of an assignment
- Reduces the number of students coming up to get help and clarification
- Improves students attending behaviors
When should I do it?
- This is a good general strategy to use at all times
How do I do it?
- Use clear and understandable language in directions
- Keep directions as short and concise as possible
- Do not be “wordy” in directions
- Repeat directions verbally
- Have students repeat and explain directions back
- Do one or several problems or items with the students to clarify the directions
- Break longer directions down into parts and explain each part with examples