Why should I do it?
- Some students need verbal attention regarding their ability
- Some students crave and need adult attention/approval
- Shows students you care and are invested
When should I do it?
- When a student gets frustrated
- When a student verbally expresses he/she can’t do something
How do I do it?
- Validate what a student is experiencing: “I know you are frustrated because you feel that this assignment is too hard”
- Normalize the feeling: “I get frustrated when I think something is hard and so do other students”
- Identify a time when the student was able to have a hard assignment and complete it: “Remember when we did that math sheet and you felt you couldn’t do it and you got all of them right?”
- Instill confidence in student “I know you can do it and I think you know you can too”