Why should I do it?
- Helps students to feel they have been heard and understood
- Improves student buy in and participation
- Improves student/teacher communication
- Builds student/teacher rapport
- Helps students feel validated
- Makes students more likely to share and discuss things with teachers
- Gives students positive attention
- Provides clarification
- Improves students cooperation and compliance
When should I do it?
- All the time with all students and parents
How do I do it?
- Simply stated, reflective listening is when you listen to what someone says and repeat it back to them so they know you heard and understood them
- The links below will help to further explain, give examples, and ideas for using reflective listening with students, parents, and other teachers
Resources & support for techniques: