Why should I do it?
- Some students have difficulty regulating themselves and keeping track of time in their head
- Some students need more defined and predictable structure
- The timer can provide motivation as the student can try to “beat” the clock
When should I do it?
- When student has difficulty staying on task
- When a student takes too long to finish a task
- When a student has low motivation
How do I do it?
- Get a small timer and place on student’s desk
- For each assignment, give student several minutes to complete it
- If timer is too distracting for student, keep it on your desk but show student how much time they have
- You can also break up the assignment and use the timer for each portion
- Challenge the student to beat the timer
Resources & support for technique: